Security of your accounts is very important in this era of technology. Every other day we came across news about some data breach from leading companies. That’s where two-factor authentication can become handy and save your account from being hacked. There are many ways to add 2FA like OTP on email or SMS and authenticator apps. There are many authenticator apps like Google Authenticator, Microsoft authenticator, Lastpass, Authy, and many more. But Google Authenticator is quite popular. In this article, we will share a guide on How to Move Google Authenticator to New Phone from old phone.
While you change your phone, you must remember to move your Google authenticator before wiping the old phone otherwise you will be in big trouble and may lose access to your accounts. Because Google does not allow automatic transfer of Google authenticator from old phone to new phone due to security reasons.
There are two methods to move Google Authenticator from one phone to another. One is from the app itself and another one is from the PC account settings. We have given both of them step by step.
You can easily transfer Google Authenticator accounts using the app’s built-in feature to move from one phone to another. This method works for both Android and iPhone whether you are moving from Android to iPhone or iPhone to Android. Before starting make sure you have the latest version of the app on both new and old phones.
- Open the Google Authenticator app on your old phone.
- Now tap the 3-dot menu icon in the upper right corner and open “transfer accounts“.
- On the next screen selects “export accounts” and choose the accounts you want to transfer. You will see a QR code to be scanned on the new phone.
- Now open the Google Authenticator app on the new phone.
- Tap Get started and scan the QR code from the old phone.
- Wait for the transfer to complete. You will see a prompt after completion.
The other method to move Google Authenticator from an old phone to a new phone is by using a computer. This is an old method but still works and can be used for both iPhone and Android.
- Install the latest version of Google Authenticator on your new phone.
- On your PC, open Google’s two-step verification site and log in to your Google account.
- Open the change phone in the authenticator app section. Select Android or iPhone on the next page.
- You will see a QR code to be scanned.
- Now open the Google Authenticator app on your new phone and scan the QR code.
- Wait for completion and you will get a prompt when done.
Read Also: How to Share WiFi Password on Android 12
We have shared two methods to transfer Google Authenticator to your new smartphone. If this article is helpful to you, bookmark and follow us for such helpful content in the future.